Bio Folic Acid + B12 by Genestra
Vegan-friendly combination of B vitamins
• Helps the body to form red blood cells and to metabolize carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
• Helps reduce the risk of neural tube defects when taken daily prior to becoming pregnant and during early pregnancy
• Provides 400 mcg of folic acid and 125 mcg of vitamin B12 per 8 drops
• Delicious natural cherry flavour
Bio Folic Acid + B12 Liquid is a vegan-friendly option that helps to prevent vitamin B12 deficiency among vegetarian and vegans, whose diets tend to provide inadequate levels of vitamin B12.1 Both vitamin B12 and folic acid are involved in red blood cell formation and DNA synthesis.2,3 Vitamin B12 and folic acid are also required for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine, which is necessary for the production of S-adenosyl-methionine, the methyl donor involved in nearly all methylation reactions.4,5 Research demonstrates that daily supplementation with 400 mcg of folic acid during the first trimester helps to decrease neural tube defects by approximately 50%.6 In a randomized, placebo-controlled trial involving 119 pregnant women, continued supplementation with 400 mcg of folic acid daily into the second and third trimesters significantly increased maternal and cord blood folate status.7 Folic acid intake also better maintained homocysteine levels in the late stages of pregnancy, which may be associated with appropriate methyl transfer activity.5,7
1. Briani, C, Dalla Torre, C, Citton, V, Manara, R, Pompanin, S, Binotto, G, Adami, F. Nutrients. 2013; 5: 4521-4539.
2. Fenech, M. Mutation Research. 2012; 733: 21- 33.
3. Combs, GF. (2012). The Vitamins. USA: Elsevier.
4. Czeizel, AE, Dudàs, I, Vereczkey, A, Bànhidy, F. Nutrients. 2013; 5: 4760-4775.
5. Imbard, A, Benoist, JF, Blom, HJ. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2013; 10: 4352-4389.
6. Osterhues, A, Ali, NS, Michels, KB. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2013; 53: 1180-1190.
7. McNulty, B, McNulty, H, Marshall, B, Ward, M, Molloy, AM, Scott, JM, Dornan, J, Pentieva, K. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 92-98.