Summer is winding down, so it's time to think about school again. As you prepare for back-to-school shopping, here are a few supplements that can make a real difference in your child's health and academic success this year. In addition to proper nutrition and herbal remedies, often times supplements can help with appropriate balancing of the gut microbiome, supporting the nervous system, and bolstering the immune system. Genestra, Pure Encapsulations, and Douglas Lab brand supplements are ones that I personally use and trust. The products are clean, are minimally processing, and hold minimal to zero non-medicinal ingredients.
To order supplements, ask questions, or to schedule a back to school wellness consultation, please call the office at 778-866-3320
Supports Gastrointestinal and Skin Health in Children
• Provides live microorganisms that temporarily modify gut flora
• Helps to maintain eyesight, skin, membranes and immune function
• Helps in the development and maintenance of night vision, bones, cartilage, teeth and gums
• Provides 12.5 billion CFU per daily dose from a combination of four proprietary human-sourced strains
• Delicious natural blackcurrant flavour
HMF Child + Multi is a great tasting combination of probiotics and vitamins that helps to promote optimal health in children. The intestinal microbiota, which contains more than 400 bacterial species, can be altered by antibiotic use, aging, and premature or caesarean births.1-3 The most commonly used probiotics are Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria, which are safe for both adults and children.4 They effectively colonize the intestines; however, once their ingestion ends, their counts decrease or disappear.1,4,5 In addition to decreasing the survival of pathogenic bacteria by reducing the pH, probiotics reinforce the epithelial barrier.4 They control permeability by mediating tight junction integrity, and prevent pathogenic adherence to epithelial cells by increasing mucin release on intestinal surfaces.4 Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, and is required for the production of collagen, the primary structural protein in bones, cartilage, teeth, and wound healing.6 Vitamin A promotes the natural barrier function of the skin, helps to stimulate immune cell development, and maintains eyesight and night vision to further promote optimal health.7-9
1. Nagpal, R, Yadav, H, Kumar, M, Jain, S, Yamashiro, Y, Marotta, F. (2013). In Otles, S. (Ed.), Probiotics and Prebiotics in Food, Nutrition and Health (pp. 1-24). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
2. Lyra A, Tiihonen K, Lehtinen MJ, Ouwehand AC. (2013). In Otles, S. (Ed.), Probiotics and Prebiotics in Food, Nutrition and Health (pp. 156-178). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
3. Thomas, DW, Greer, FR. Pediatrics. 2010; 126(6): 1217-1231.
4. Saulnier, N, Zocco, MA, Di Caro, S, Gasbarrini, G, Gasbarrini, A. Genes & Nutrition. 2006; 1(2): 107-116.
5. Saavedra, JM. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. 2007; 22: 351-365.
6. Combs, GF. (2012). In (4th ed.) The Vitamins (pp.233-259). USA: Elsevier.
7. Ruhl, R. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 2007; 66: 458-469.
8. Al Tanoury, Z, Piskunov, A, Rochette-Egly, C. Journal of Lipid Research. 2013; 54: 1761-1775.
9. Mukherjee, S, Date, A, Patravale, V, Korting, HC, Roeder, A, Weindl, G. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2006; 1(4): 327-348.
Comprehensive multi-vitamin supplement for children and adolescents
• Supports bone health, immune function, and normal growth and development
• Available in a great-tasting, cherry-flavoured liquid
• Better taste from natural cherry, vanilla cream and raspberry flavours for enhanced compliance
• Increased amount of essential nutrients: vitamins D and E, niacinamide, pantothenic acid, iodine, magnesium, zinc, choline and inositol
• Added vitamin K for additional bone health support
• More servings per bottle, providing an additional two-week supply
Pediatri Vite provides a delicious, natural cherry-flavoured, full-spectrum liquid vitamin and mineral combination specifically formulated to support optimum nutritional status in children one year and older. Adequate amounts of vitamins and essential minerals are required for the healthy functioning of all physiological processes.1Optimal nutrient intake is particularly important to the proper development of the skeletal system and maintenance of good health in children.1,2 Pediatri Vite contains more than 10 vitamins and minerals in the appropriate ratios needed for the most efficient utilization by young children. It helps in energy metabolism and tissue formation, building strong bones and teeth, and maintaining cognitive, immune and proper muscle function. Research has demonstrated that the supply and use of nutrients is most biologically relevant during early childhood, and the quantity and quality of this nutrient supply can have long-lasting effects on health.3
1. Prentice, A, Schoenmakers, I, Laskey, MA, de Bono, S, Ginty, F, Goldberg, GR. Proc Nutr Soc. 2006; 65: 348-360.
2. Weichselbaum, E, Buttriss, JL. Nutr Bull. 2014; 39, 9-73.
3. Koletzko, B. E Spen Eur E J Clin Nutr Metab. 2008; 3: e179-e184.
Vita-Kids™ is a great tasting, natural grape-flavoured chewable vitamin-mineral-trace element supplement formulated for children ages one to eight. The unique teddy bear shaped Vita-Kids™ chewable tablets provide 27 vitamins, minerals and trace elements in bioavailable forms and nutritionally meaningful amounts.
Vita-Kids™ is more than just another children's multivitamin-mineral supplement. Research shows that the intake of many vitamins above RDA levels may have significant positive effects on the structure and function of growing bodies.
Compared to major brands of children's chewable multivitamins, the convenient chewable tablets of Vita-Kids™ provide several times the levels of the important antioxidant vitamins C and E. Vita-Kids™ also delivers significantly higher levels of most B-vitamins than brand-name vitamins, and provides easily absorbable calcium and magnesium, as well as a full spectrum of bioavailable trace elements. Vitamin D is also added to help maintain bone health. In fact, Vita-Kids™ is one of the most complete children's chewable multivitamin/mineral formulas on the market. It provides essential vitamins and minerals that help maintain optimal eyesight, skin, energy metabolism, bones and teeth, and proper muscle, immune and thyroid gland function. Vita-Kids™ uses only the purest, most hypoallergenic ingredients and contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
Vitamin D 1000 IU is an excellent source of vitamin D. Adequate vitamin D intake is important for ensuring normal calcium absorption and maintaining proper calcium plasma levels. Thus, vitamin D has a critical role in the development and maintenance of bones and teeth. Studies have shown that supplementation with high doses of vitamin D maximizes bone health in adults and may decrease the risk of fractures in the elderly.
One of the main sources of vitamin D is from exposing skin to sunlight. However, this process can be limited by skin colour, sunscreen use, season and geographic location. People living close to the equator can easily produce vitamin D throughout the year, while those living farther away have to rely on foods and supplements for adequate vitamin D status. As few foods naturally contain high levels of vitamin D, supplementation is a great alternative to increase vitamin D levels.
Practitioners on this site are not Medical Doctors (MD), nor are any of the suggestions or recommendations made on this site meant to be a substitute for advice from your MD, or as a substitute for any prescriptions you may be taking. Any suggestions followed will be the responsibility of the individual, and are stated with the intention of interest and education. If you have a health issue, please see your primary care physician first and foremost.